View Single Post
Old 04-09-2022, 08:35 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 1682 / Power: 21
Garage1 has a brilliant futureGarage1 has a brilliant futureGarage1 has a brilliant futureGarage1 has a brilliant futureGarage1 has a brilliant futureGarage1 has a brilliant futureGarage1 has a brilliant futureGarage1 has a brilliant futureGarage1 has a brilliant futureGarage1 has a brilliant futureGarage1 has a brilliant future
Re: Getting a Divorce

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmelater View Post
I went through a divorce years ago. It was initially quoted at 3k by a law firm. Then, my ex gotten some "advice" in the background and wanted make life hard. We had no kids, but she wanted more and more, including house plus monthly alimony.

Giving away the house was not as easy as I sign paper and finish. Apparently, need to "gift away" the cpf used to pay for house. The law firm's lawyer was incompetent and told me that I need to pay back cpf to cover back the cpf used. Pay back in cash.

I wrote to cpf and gotten official confirmation that no need pay back cpf, but the divorce papers need to have specific wording stating so. However, my ex was a conniving bugger. She insisted no change in wording, so that I would blow a hole in my wallet paying off the cpf used.

At the same time, the legal cost was running up. Madness... And, there was no adultery. Only thing was my ex was crazy.... She brought me to court to sue for alimony. To think she was a cute little angel before marriage..... anyway, that was history. Today she still like a cute angel, but the scene in court was horror and hell.

Fortunately, I went to look for another lawyer (recommended through a friend). That lawyer settled my case within weeks. Whereas the earlier lawyer took months and could not resolve my case.

Point is, cheap doesn't mean good. Good comes at a price. Better pay for good than cheap. Cos cheap comes with too many issues. This isn't the same as taking bus vs cab. Both will reach the same destination with different amounts of time. But divorce through a competent vs incompetent lawyer is totally different. The difference is day and night, not different shades of grey.

PS: My advice for all bros going through this is do your homework before committing to the terms of divorce. Women.... not very friendly when going through divorce. The cunning ones will make the guy put the conditions on text and use it to press the guy to give. Affairs of the heart is easier of entry than exit.

PSPS: My latest ex was telling me what I have to do after we got married, including household finances and that I need to disclose whatever I was earning. This was so that she would have a hold on the marriage. But, I dumped her anyway. Honestly, a divorce is once too many. Easy to marry based on feelings, but difficult to exit based on rational mind. Thats why an old saying goes "Marriage is the only war where man sleeps with the enemy."

PSPSPS: As I write now, I feel deep relief from all that crap. To all the bros going through this, choose the RIGHT LAWYER. (emphasis intended).
totally agreed.. i had a good lawyer ( old friend recommended )
shut the ex wife up in a matter of weeks....